One of the best ways to make yourself happy in the present is to recall happy times from the past. Photos are a great memory-prompt, and because we tend to take photos of happy occasions, they weight our memories to the good. –Gretchen Rubin
Recalling Happy Times
Yard work was at the top of my list today and we started early to beat the heat and the rain. Both caught up with us before we were through. Since today is Independence Day we’re doing a little grilling and just hanging out, too! Shutterfly’s 101 Free Prints offer ended today so I was motivated to order a few of my favorites from the last three months. I take a lot of pictures. Do you? I confess most never get printed but I do love to look back through them often as a reminder of happy times and to make sure I’m spending my days well.
Today, I’m sharing a few of my favorite moments from April, May, and June and I hope these photos inspire you to enjoy the simple things in life and to arrange your days so that you are experiencing deep contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday life with God.
- Chinese Silk Robe–$3.50 at the thrift store. One exactly like it sold on eBay recently for $245.00!
- Sandals–$3.50 I LOVE these. They’re so cute and comfy.
- Bags–$2.00 each. I carry the straw bag almost every day.
4. Thrift Store globe—$2.00 Pink spray paint and stickers make it dorm-ready.
5. Vintage Royal Typewriter–$10.00 at a Boy Scout yard sale.
6. Old Book for my son, the history buff–$0.50
7. Cute garden tables–$24 I didn’t buy one but I saw these at Big Lots. Super cute and lots of colors.
8. Old glass jar–$1.00
9. Letters–$2.00; small flower picture–$0.50; Heart-shaped twig basket–$1.00 (I’d seen one at Ross a few weeks ago for $9.99!; Vintage Nemadji pottery–$3.00
10. Vintage Rattan table–$3.00
1. Watching the sunset
2. Breakfast at Waffle House
3. Thrifting buddies
4. He bought a new toy (random orbit sander)
5. Bike rides on the Ladiga Trail
6. Planting tomatoes and peppers
1. Boiled eggs for breakfast on Day 1 of my 30 Day Sugar Fast. I’m on Day 19 and feeling great physically! But I still long for something sweet every single day.
3. Fresh strawberries from Aldi. They’re sweet and always less than $2 a pint!
1. Easter Sunday
2. His 23rd birthday
3. Mother’s Day
4. Memorial Day
Just The Two of Us
1. Lunch date
2. Thrifting and waiting for the locksmith. Both sets of keys locked in the car!
3. Coffee at Karma’s Coffee House
4. Date day picnic by the river
6. Sunday drives
7. Sharing dessert at Edgar’s Bakery
9. Margherita Pizza
1. My screened porch
2. Faded roses
4. Wearing all the turquoise jewelry
5. Watching birds on a wire as storm clouds roll in during an evening walk
6. Steeple silhouettes
7. Happy floors at the laundromat
8. Sunset drives
9. Feeding my family
10. The $6.00 car wash
So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
Return, O Lord! How long?
Have pity on your servants!
Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
and for as many years as we have seen evil.
Let your work be shown to your servants,
and your glorious power to their children.
Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:12-17 ESV