“May the sun bring you new energies by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, and may the rain wash away any worries you may have. May gentle breezes refresh your soul and all the days of your life, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty.” Unkown
This porch is a first-hand gift from God. When we were looking for a house 10 years ago I secretly hoped for one with a screened porch. Here we’ve enjoyed early morning coffee, late night talks with crickets and frogs, and lazy, rainy afternoons. It’s one of my favorite places.
The furnishings are second-hand treasures and they all have a story:
1. The rusty glider and matching chairs sat on my grandmother’s front porch for as long as I can remember. She would love that I use them almost every day.
2. The curtains were a steal at a thrift store. They’re perfect for filtering the early morning sun.
3. The chandelier was a yard sale find that I painted. The shades were mismatched thrift store finds (bought one at a time) that got a quick coat of black spray paint. I rewired it to plug into an outlet. It makes a perfect spot for reading in the evenings.
4. The little brown table at the end of the glider was made by my dad when he was in high school.
4. The wooden church pew was $25 at a yard sale.
5. The rusty bird cage came from my mom’s back porch. She didn’t like it rusty. I LOVE rust!
The gift, the treasures, the stories—old and new—-make it a beautiful place to me.
Is there something you desire? Maybe it’s a small thing that seems frivolous and unnecessary. Why not ask God right now for it and then trust Him to provide according to His riches and wisdom.
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11
Has God ever responded to your request for something you wanted but didn’t necessarily need? I’d love to hear your story.